Anascaul village lies along the Dingle Peninsula at the foot of the mountain range. In the village is 'The South Pole Inn' once owned by Thomas Crean, the Antarctic explorer. The South Pole Inn is featured in a Guinness advertisement depicting Thomas Crean reminiscing about a pint of the black stuff. Annascaul village is loved by walkers; the mountain walks in the area are spectacular, particularly over the Beenoskee mountain.


Ardfert is a small village steep in history with many imposing monuments. Ardfert is located just 5 miles northwest from Tralee town. Worth a visit is the partially restored 15th century cathedral, which is on the site of a monastery founded by St. Brendan. Northwest of the cathedral lies the ruins of the Temple Na Hoe and Temple Na Griffin. To the East is Tobernamolt, a holy well where St. Erc baptised St. Brendan.


Ballinskelligs is a seaside resort on the edge of Ballinskelligs Bay. Ballinskelligs is part of the Gaeltacht and each summer students travel here to learn the Irish language. The area has miles of sandy beaches and fantastic scenery.


Ballybunion is popular beach resort known for surfing and swimming along the Atlantic coast. Standing at the end of the main beach in the town is the remains of the 16th century Fitzmaurice Castle. Ballybunnion is probably best known today for its golf course, which is one of the best links courses in the world.


Ballydavid is a quiet fishing village on the shores of Smerwick Harbor. This beautiful village is well worth a visit. The views from this village are hard to beat, the magnificent Mount Brandon, the Three Sisters and Dun an Oir. Visitors from around the world spend time here to explore the archaeological sites of the Gallarus Oratory and Cill Mhaelceadair. The village is also home to the Irish language radio station, Radio na Gaeltachta.


Ballyferriter is a small village lying at the foot of Croaghmarhin mountain. Ballyferriter is part of the Gaeltacht and each summer students travel here to learn the Irish language. Northwest of the village lies the remains of Ferriter's Castle, home of one of the last chieftains to withstand Cromwell's armies. To the north lies Smerwick Harbor and the Dun an Oir fort (Golden Fort). In 1580 the famous massacre of Spanish, Italian and Irish soldiers by Lord Gray's troops took place at Smerick Harbor. Nearby is Reesk, an excavated site that features life of long ago. Gallarus Oratory is a well preserved church building, which is situated close to Smerick Harbor.


Ballyheigue is a quiet holiday resort along the Tralee Bay coast road. Ballyheigue Strand is a beautiful place for walking and fishing. The village is overlooked by a castle built by the Crosbie family in 1812.


Ballylongford is located on the Shannon estuary and at the mouth of Ballylongford Bay. To the north of Ballylongford lies the ruins of Lislaughtin Abbey, the walls of which are still preserved. To the west of the town stands Carrigafoyle Castle, built by O'Connor of Kerry, on a beautiful inlet.


An attractive village overlooking Derrynane Bay. Derrynane NationalHistoric Park covers 300 acres of forest and encompasses DerrynaneHouse, the residence of Irish patriot Daniel 'The Liberator' O'Connell(1775-1847), who won Catholic representation in Parliament in 1829. Thewell preserved house is now a museum filled with personal belongings ofthe famous owner. Staigue Fort is the largest pre-Christian stone fortin Ireland overlooking the sea. Built for defensive purposes this fortis over 2,000 years old and encloses a space of 30 yards.


Nestled at the foot of Bentee overlooking Valentia Harbor. Carhan House: Birthplace of Daniel 'The Liberator' O'Connell (1775-1847) who won Catholic representation in Parliament in 1829. O'Connell's Church: Built in 1888 as a memorial to Daniel 'The Liberator' O'Connell and is the only church in Ireland named after a layperson. Ballycarbery Castle: The ruins of a castle once held by O'Connell's ancestors. Cahergall Fort: A stone fort with 10 ft thick walls and clearly visible on the mountain slope. Leacanabuaile Fort: A carefully restored stone ring fort with occupation dating from the sixth to eighth centuary. Cuas Crom Beach: Known in the area for great swimming.


Camp is situated on the seaward end of Glen Fas and lies west of the Slieve Mish mountain range. Near Camp village, in the center of a field, is a gravestone which bears a simple cross, an Ogham inscription and a Latin script. Tradition tells how Fas, wife of a Milesian chieftain, was killed in the first battle between the Milesians and the original settlers. At 2050 feet above sea level a stone fortress with a defending wall 350 feet long and 14 feet thick. Tradition tells how the fort was built and magically defended by Cu Raoi a magical figure who carried off Cu Chulainn's girlfriend Blathnaid. A stretch of safe and sandy beach, which can be enjoyed by both swimmers and walkers alike. A small rectangular site consisting of an oratory an two small buildings perhaps dated to the seventh century. Just past the church the ruins of a ruined village can be seen. During the nineteenth century the landlords evicted all the residents leaving a deserted village. Fine restaurants, pubs, a petrol station and an internet cafe are all located in Camp Village.


Situated on the Dingle Peninsula on the R560 road. Castlegregory is situated at the foot of a narrow neck of land, which divides Tralee Bay from Brandon Bay. In the 16th century Gregory Hoare built a castle where the village is now situated. Tragedy surrounded this family beginning with the wedding of Gregory's son, Hugh, to Ellen Moore whose father was an old enemy of Gregory Hoare. On the day of the wedding(1566), Gregory fell dead on the threshold of his Castle when he was trying to stop the wedding party from entering his castle. The castle was passed on to Hugh and in 1580 Lord Grey, Queen Elizabeth's deputy, stopped at the castle. Among Hugh's guests were Sir Walter Raleigh, Captain Denny, Edmund Spenser and Walter Hussey of Dingle. Ellen had objected to the arrival of her country's enemies and in a rage she emptied all the wine and beer onto the cellar floor. When Hugh found out what she had done he became so enraged he stabbed her to death. The next morning when Lord Grey was bringing Hugh to be charged of killing his wife Hugh Hoare collapsed and died on the very same threshold that his father had fallen on the day of the wedding. An arched doorway from the castle of Gregory Hoare can still be seen in the village at Tailor's Row. In the Catholic church in Castlegregory is a stained glass window designed by Ireland's finest artist in stained glass painting, Harry Clarke. The area has become renowned for surfing with the world championships been held there in 2000.


Castleisland is a busy market town located in North Kerry. Its main street is the second widest in Ireland. The town got its name from a castle built in 1226, the island was created by using the waters of the River Maine as a moat. The fine views from the Abbeyfeale road are breathtaking to see. Crag Cave is located in Castleisland.


Castlemaine is the gateway to both the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry. Castlemaine, a former market town, is situated on the harbor of Castlemaine. Castlemaine takes its name from a castle erected on the bridge over the River Maine by MacCarthy More and the Earl of Desmond as a defense to the River Maine crossing. Each chief was to protect it alternately; but when the Earl received possession of it from MacCarthy, he refused to admit MacCarthy, and kept entire possession of the castle, which remained in his family under the reign of Elizabeth. The Maine flows into the harbor of Castlemaine, the castle stood over it and projected considerably on the east side; and buttresses of the arch by which it was supported are still remaining, and the stone socket on which the pivot of the castle gate turned is still to be seen. To the west of the town lies the ruins of Castledrum, where the Australian outlaw, known as the Wild Colonial Boy was born. He is celebrated in a song of the same name. The tune originated in Ireland and emigrated to Australia. The villain may be based on the career of Jack Donahue. Jack Donohue was a criminal who was transported to Australia. He escaped and resumed a life of crime, but was eventually captured and shot in 1830.


Situated on the Dingle Peninsula, Cloghane is located at the base of Mount Brandon. Cloghane village faces Brandon Bay on the Dingle Peninsula, it is a wonderful place to visit for hill walkers. It is home to the yearly Irish Festival of Lughnasa. Organized between Brandon and Cloghane villages this festival brings visitors from around the world to experience the old Irish tradition of celebrating the Lughnasa.

Dingle Town

Situated on the Dingle Peninsula. Dingle is a small town set among the hills of the Dingle Peninsula on the triangular inlet of Dingle Harbor. Dingle is the most westerly town in Europe and many visitors arrive each year to experience the culture and craic in this beautiful town. Dingle is part of the Gaeltacht where everyone speaks the native Irish language. Dingle Bay is home to Fungi the Dolphin, a famous Dolphin who loves to 'pose' for photos.


Dunquin is situated at the head of the Dingle Peninsula. Dunquin is part of the Gaeltacht where everyone speaks the native Irish language. Dunquin is famous as the setting of the film Ryan's Daughter. It is one of the ports of departure for the Blasket Islands and the Ionad an Bhlascaoid Mhoir (The Blasket Center) is located in this area. East of the village is an ancient burial ground for the Spanish who lost their lives off the Blaskets in 1588.


Situated on the Iveragh Peninsula on the N70 Ring of Kerry road. Glenbeigh nestles beneath the Seefin mountain at the entrance of a horseshoe of mountains where the Behy River mingles with the waters of Dingle Bay. Many Fiana legends center around Glenbeigh where Diarmuid and Grainne spent some days hiding in a cave in the valley of the Behy, where Diarmuid achieved such exploits against his pursuers. Rossbeigh is known for where Oisin and Niamh took to the sea on their white horse to live in the land of youth - Tir na nOg. Near the village is the ruin of 'Wynne's Folly', a castle mansion built by Lord Headley Wynne in 1867. The terrible tragedies which befell the population of the Wynn Estate in the parish of Glenbeigh, in the 1880's is still talked about in the Glenbeigh area. The barbarity and brutality of Mr. Roe, the agent for Lord Wynne, during the evictions were said to be far in excess of the worst actions of his master. Even Gladstones Land Act of 1881, which in effect said that tenants should no longer be removed at will, did little for the residents of the Wynn Estate, as during the years of 1882 and 1883 there were numerous evictions because the tenants were just not able to afford the increased rent, by a massive 50% in most cases, to pay for the construction of the castle.


Glencar is located above Caragh Lake along the Ring of Kerry. Glencar is a nature lovers paradise, the area is naturally beautiful with Lickeen Forest, Caragh River and Caragh Lake. It is a spot that anglers return to on a yearly basis. The countryside lover will also be delighted with the country walks.


Kenmare town is set among the Kerry hills alongside the Kenmare River. The town of Kenmare was founded by Sir William Petty in 1670, following the land was transferred to him by the English. This town is steeped in history and is a beautiful base for exploring the region. The town is set along the Ring of Kerry road and is a famous stopover when touring the Ring.


Situated on the Iveragh Peninsula it is the gateway to the Ring of Kerry. Killarney stands at the base of Ireland's highest mountain range. Due to its surroundings Killarney has become a world famous tourist setting. Killarney has many attractions for the visitor with its main attraction being the Killarney Lakes, comprising of three lakes, which are all in the boundaries of the Killarney National Park. Muckross House is set in the national park and is part of the Kerry Folk Life Center. A visit to Killarney is not complete without traveling to Ladies View, which provides a panoramic view of the entire area. It obtained its name from the delighted reaction received from Queen Victoria and her companions upon looking at the view.


Situated on the Iveragh Peninsula on the N70 Ring of Kerry road. Killorglin stands on a hill to the south of Castlemaine Harbor headwaters, on the famous salmon fishing River Laune. The annual Puck Fair festival is held in Killorglin Town is one of Ireland's oldest fairs. The king of Puck Fair, a chosen mountain goat is borne in triumph and enthroned for two days. Why is a goat the king of the fair? Local stories tell that a stampeding herd of mountain goats warned the locals of the invasion by the Cromwellian forces! The festival has been welcoming visitors from around the world to join in the festivities for many a year. The festival is held each year from the 10-12 of August. The three days were named The Gathering Day (a horse fair), The Fair Day (a cattle fair) and The Scattering Day.


A river Feale market town in north Kerry. In the town's square lies the ruins of Fitzmaurice Castle. Listowel is proud of its literary ability, Maurice Walsh, The Quiet Man, Bryan MacMahon and John B. Keane, The Field. Listowel Writer's week is a yearly occurrence during the month of June. Listowel Races occur during the month of September.


Situated off the Dingle Peninsula, it is mostly a sandy spit jutting into the Atlantic Ocean. Off the peninsula lie the Maharee Islands or the Seven Hogs. The largest island contains remnants of an early Christian monastic settlement. The Maharees is known worldwide among surfers, with the Atlantic swells and the wonderful sandy beaches. World Championships have been held here.


Milltown is located on the N70 road between Castlemaine and Killorglin. Milltown is home of the annual World Bodhran Championships. The village is the perfect base for touring the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula.


Portmagee is a small fishing village overlooking Valentia Harbor. Portmagee is known by the visitor for its Skellig Heritage Center. The Skelligs are easily accessed from this town and also Valentia Island is joined to the mainland via a bridge at Portmagee.


Sneem Village is located between Kenmare and Waterville on the famous Ring of Kerry road. It was once home to Cearbhall o Dalaigh former President of Ireland and Steve Casey, Crusher, former World Champion wrestler.


Situated at the start of both the Dingle and Kerry Head Peninsula, Tralee is the chief town of Kerry, set at the mouth of Tralee Bay. The town has become famous due to the International Rose of Tralee Festival and the Tralee Races. Both of these events are held on the same weekend at the end of August each year, making Tralee town a lively place to visit.


Ventry is a Gaelteacht town standing at the mouth of Ventry bay. The area is steeped in ancient history and has many sites to visit such as the Celtic and Prehistoric Museum.


Situated on the Iveragh Peninsula on the N70 Ring of Kerry road, on a narrow neck of land between Ballinskelligs Bay and the beautiful Lough Currane. Waterville is an excellent fishing location both on the sea front and on Lough Currane. Along the promenade a monument is erected to one of Waterville's most famous visitors, Charlie Chaplin and his family were regular visitors to the area staying in the Butler Arms Hotel.