Ballea Castle

near Ballea Hill
Built in the 15th century, it was renovated and extended into a three storey L-plan fortified house in the 17th century. It was home to the MacCarthy family until the late 17th century. The castle then fell into disrepair until 1750 when restoration work was undertaken by the Hodder family who held it to until the early 1900s. The building has prominent crenellations, and the large windows show that it is designed as a residence rather than a fortress. There is a large White Horse painted on a cliff face below the castle which can be seen from the Ballea Road. Legend has it that one of the Hodder daughters fell in love with a local farmer`s son. Her father was furious, wanting her to marry a man of his choice. An argument ensued. The daughter`s horse bolted over the edge of the cliff, with both daughter and horse falling to their deaths. The White Horse was painted on the cliff to mark this fateful day. Ballea Castle is situated on a cliff overlooking the Owenboy River in Carrigaline about 8 miles south of Cork City. The castle is a private residence and is not open to the public.

Ballyclogh Castle

near Ballyclogh
Ballyclogh Castle was the home of the MacRoberts branch of the Barrys. It was forfeited in 1641 and given to the Purdons. Ballyclogh Castle was surrendered to the Williamites in 1691. In the early 19th century, the castle was renovated and occupied by the estate steward. Lean-to buildings were built against the surrounding defensive wall, but these are all in ruins. The castle is a square tower house which is now in ruins, and the roof has collapsed. Trees are growing around the castle, and starting to invade the ruins.

Ballyhooly Castle

near Ballyhooly
Ballyhooly Castle is situated amongst woodland on the north side of the River Blackwater near the town of Mallow. The castle was built to guard a ford over the River Blackwater in the 16th century. Ballyhooly Castle was occupied by the Roches until it was forfeited in the Confederate Wars, when occupation passed to Richard Aldworth. The castle was restored in 1862, and the fishing lodge was added in the 1920s. The original castle is a five storey tower house with a relatively modern 20th century two storey fishing lodge adjoining the side of the medieval tower. The castle has been well maintained, and the house has been recently refurbished, making it a comfortable family home which is available as a comfortable self-catering accommodation for up to eight guests. The castle has a dining room, sitting room, drawing room and kitchen. A housekeeper and cleaner are on hand to look after the property. The castle overlooks the river offering picturesque views and pleasant walks in the nearby woods. The castle has exclusive private access to five miles of fishing on the River Blackwater, one of the best salmon rivers in western Europe.

Ballynacarriga Castle

Ballynacarriga Castle (also known as Ballinacarriga Castle) is set on a rocky outcrop overlooking Ballynacarriga Lough, about 5 miles from the town of Dunmanway. Ballynacarriga Castle was built in 1585 by Randal Hurley. (The date 1585 can be seen in a window-recess on the top floor). The castle was forfeited by the Hurleys in 1654, and it passed to the Crofts. It is believed that the castle was used as a chapel as well as a family residence. Locals say that the chapel was still in use until 1815. Ballynacarriga Castle is a large four storey tower house. It is about 15m by 12m with walls are over 6 feet thick at the base. There is a short section of defensive wall remaining at the north east corner. The castle features a number of carvings in the window recesses. At second storey level, there is a carving of a female figure with roses, and carvings of geometric designs. At the fourth storey level, there are carvings of the Passion of Christ. The wooden ceiling which would have covered the basement of the castle has disappeared, but the stone corbels still remain. On the second floor there is a garderobe (a primitive toilet) on the north side built over a chute. The castle roof, parapets and battlements are missing.

Ballynamona Castle

near An Seanbhaile Mor
Ballynamona Castle was built by the Nagles around 1600. The castle was occupied until the 19th century. There was once a Sheela na Gig (carving on a naked woman) on the castle wall, but around 1894, the Sheela was removed from the castle wall and attached near the entrance door. Around 1900 the figure was removed and smashed. Apparently, while the castle owner Garrett Nagle was in London, tradesmen working on the castle found the Sheela na Gig, broke it and scattered the pieces. The castle is a four storey square tower house with corbelled turrets at opposite corners. There used to be a house attached to the castle, and the remains of the gables can be seen on the walls.

Barrymore Castle

Castlelyons Castle was built by David Barry, the first Earl of Barrymore in the 17th century. The building of the castle commenced shortly after David Barrys marriage to Alice Boyle in 1621. In order to transfer the Barrymore home from Barryscourt to Castlelyons the Earl mortgaged the old home to the Earl of Cork who was his father in law, Richard Boyle. It was built on the site of an older castle which was renovated and a superb new building of limestone was added, and was the Irish residence of the Barrymores until 1771 when it was burnt down in an accidental fire. At its most complete stage the castle consisted of three parts. These were the new Jacobian part, the more ancient part which had a stone arched roof and many smaller chambers and a third part which consisted of a tower. The castle grounds were very beautiful. To the north of the castle a terraced garden was constructed. On the west side the water was harnessed to create an artificial lake. This was bounded by a garden. To the west and south a deer park surrounded by high walls of stone was laid out. This gave rise to the townland of Deerpark. The stables and the barns were built near the castle at a point since known as Stables Cross. To complete the work a broad and straight road was built in front of the castle and extended from Stables Cross to Spuree Cross. This is now the public road and Main Street of Castlelyons. The current ruins are dominated by three massive elaborate chimney stacks, two on the north wall of the main block and one on the west dividing wall. At the top of these chimneys are diagonally set conjoined shafts, capped by a cornice.

Blackrock Castle

A 16th-century castle located about a mile from the heart of Cork city on the banks of the River Lee. Originally built to defend the port and upper flows of Cork Harbor, the castle is now the site of an observatory, visitors centre and restaurant. In the late 16th century, the citizens of Cork appealed to Queen Elizabeth I to construct a fort at Blackrock to repel pirates and other invaders. Around 1600, a round tower was constructed to safeguard against pirates carrying away vessels entering the harbor. The earliest remains of this structure remaining today are a circular tower on the water's edge, 10.5m in diameter, with walls 2.2m thick. In the early-2000s the Castle was redeveloped under a joint venture between Cork City Council, Cork Institute of Technology and a private benefactor. The Cosmos at the Castle project was intended to create a center for scientific research, outreach and communication. Blackrock Castle now houses Ireland`s first interactive astronomy center. The exhibition is open to the public and is themed The Search for Extreme Life in the Universe.

Blarney Castle

The first stone castle was built in 1210. In the 15th century a new castle was built on its foundations by Cormac MacCarthy, one of Ireland`s greatest chieftains. Many tried to take the castle including Queen Elizabeth I but it was eventually invested by a general of Cromwell. When his men arrived however the garrison had already fled via underground caves and tunnels. In 1688 the castle was sold to Sir James St. John Jeffreys and at the beginning of the 18th century he built a house against the keep and landscaped the gardens. In 1820 the house was destroyed by fire and in 1874 a new Scottish style castle was built south of the keep. Today`s castle is the third on the site. It is made up of the derelict grey stone castle rebuilt in Scottish baronial style in 1874, Blarney House a gothic Georgian property overlooking the lake and Rock Close the landscaped gardens which include grottos and woodland. There are paths around the grounds and attractions include some natural rock formations known as Druid`s Circle, Wishing Steps and Witch`s Cave. Blarney House on the grounds is also open to the public - a Scottish baronial mansion built in 1874. The castle ruins range from small outbuildings to the enormous parapet which is 82 feet high. Situated 5 miles from Cork, Blarney Castle is set in traditional parkland near the River Martin.

Carrigadrohid Castle

near Carrigadrohid
The castle is a ruined three storey tower in a picturesque setting on the river. It is joined to the river bank by a road bridge at second storey level which joins the eastern wall of the castle. Carrigadrohid Castle was built in the 15th century by the MacCarthys of Muskerry, and has been extended and modified over the years. In 1650, the castle was besieged by Parliamentary forces. The MacCarthys were dispossessed, and the castle was taken over by the Bowens who occupied it until the mid 18th century. The castle then fell into disrepair. In recent times, a local group has been established to preserve the castle.

Carrignacura Castle

near Kilbarry
Carrignacurra Castle is built on a rocky outcrop on the bank of the River Lee a mile east of Inchigeelagh. It was built in the late 16th century, and was the seat of the O`Leary family. It was captured by O`Sullivan Beare in 1602, and later forfeited to the MacCarthys in 1641. The castle was taken over by the Masters family in the 18th century. The castle is a four storey tower house. It is not quite square, with longest side 38 feet and shortest side 25 feet. The walls are about 50ft high but the battlements are missing. A 15 foot high chimney is on the north wall. The ground floor has the main entrance, a small guard room, and a main chamber which was probably used as a store room. A spiral staircase leads to the upper floors. The first floor has a guard room which gives access to the redan which has three gun loops. The main chamber was probably a living area or store room. The second floor would have been the kitchen and living area and has a vaulted ceiling. The room has a single narrow window on the wet side, and a fireplace on the north wall. There is a passage within the north wall. On this floor is the garderobe or toilet. Access to the bartizan is from this floor, where there are five gun loops in the walls and two openings in the floor. The main living quarters for the family were on the third floor. This floor provides access to the fourth floor (attic) sleeping quarters and battlement wall walk. The castle is undergoing restoration and is in keeping with the original construction.

Carrignamuck Castle

near Meeshal
Carrignamuck Castle (also known as Dripsey Castle) is situated about a mile from the village of Dripsey on the banks of the River Dripsey. Carrignamuck Castle is believed to have been built in the late 15th century. It was built by MacCarthy, Lord of Muskerry who also built the famous Blarney Castle and a number of other Irish Castles in the region. It was customary for the Lord of Muskerry to live in Blarney Castle, while his successor occupied Carrignamuck Castle. In 1650, Oliver Cromwell`s troops led by Lord Broghill, attacked and captured Carrignamuck Castle. During the bombardment, the eastern wall was holed. Some years later, the castle was bought by the Colthurst family who built a new house in the grounds. In 1903 the castle was purchased by industrialist and politician Andrew O`Shaughnessy, but has not been inhabited for many years.

Castle Barrett

south of Mallow
Castle Barrett (Castel More) is situated on open grassy position south of the town of Mallow. Castle Barrett was built around the 13th century. It was originally known as Castle More or Castlemore. In 1439 it was taken over by the Earl of Desmond. The Barrett family acquired the castle in the 17th century. The castle was damaged in 1645 by Oliver Cromwell`s army. After the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, John Barrett who fought on the side of the Jacobites lost to the Williamites. Castle Barrett was destroyed and 12,000 acres of Barrett land was forfeited. The castle is in ruins, with just a few parts of the walls standing like stone sentinels. The remaining fragments are from the north and east walls.

Castle Lyons

near Castlelyons
Castle Lyons is situated 3 miles south of Fermoy near the village of Castlelyons, in a field behind an industrial site off the main road near Castlelyons. Castle Lyons was one of the main seats of the Barry family in the 13th century, ever since King John granted the land to William de Barry. The Earl of Barrymore took over the castle in 1627 and built a large fortified house. In the 17th century the castle was held by the English as a stronghold against the Irish. Castle Lyons was captured by Lord Castlehaven after the battle of Manning Ford in 1643. The castle remained a habitable building until it was destroyed by fire accidently in 1771. The castle is now in ruins and becoming overgrown with plants. It was once a fortified house with most of the walls over 4 feet thick.

Castle Pook

The ruins of Castle Pook stands five acres on a rocky outcrop near Doneraile at the foot of the Ballyhouras. Castle Pook was built around 1380 by the Norman, Geoffrey Synan (Geoffrey the Red). It was extended or rebuilt around 1500. The castle was forfeited by the Synans in 1639, and taken over by the St Leger family. The castle is ruined tower. Remains of the defensive wall form a ridge around what would have been the castle courtyard. Parts of a dry moat is visible. There is evidence of the site having been defended since prehistoric times, with traces of a ring for and ancient ramparts having been found on the site. The castle is privately owned and there are plans to restore the castle.

The poet Edmund Spenser lived near the castle and the legends of the castle may have inspired the name Pook in his poem, the Epithalamium. It is believed that the name Puck which Shakespeare used for Robin Goodfellow in A Midsummer Night`s Dream may in turn have been inspired by Spenser`s Pook.

Castle Richard

near Killeagh
Castle Richard is situated on farmland off the N25 south of the village of Killeag. The castle, also known as Inchicrenagh, is a five storey ruined tower house, standing over 65 feet high. Castle Richard was probably built around the 1430s by Richard FitzGerald, the first seneschal of Imokilly. The castle may have been modified around 1592, as that date is on a doorway on the northern wall, along with the initials of Thomas Fitzgerald.


near Castlemartyr
Castlemartyr is a ruined castle situated in the grounds of Castlemartyr Resort, a 5 star luxury resort hotel in the town of Castlemartyr, about 20 minutes drive from Cork City. The castle was first built in 1210 by the Knights Templar under leadership of Richard Earl de Clare, also known as Strongbow. By the mid 15th century, the castle was the seat for the local seneschal appointed by James, Earl of Ormond. Castlemartyr was captured in 1569 by Sir Henry Sidney, when Ormond`s men abandoned the castle overnight after a cannon attack. It was subsequently given to Sir Walter Raleigh, and later taken by the seneschal John FitzGerald. The Earl of Ormond attacked the castle in 1579. John FitzGerald was eventually captured in 1583 and died a few years later in Dublin Castle in 1589. In the 1640s, the castle again saw conflict and changed hands twice more before being set on fire to prevent it being used as a base for the Irish Confederate forces. During the civil war, the castle was captured by the Irish, and then recaptured by the Williamites in 1690, but was badly damaged and eventually abandoned and fell into disrepair. During the 17th century, Richard Boyle, the first Earl of Cork built the magnificent Manor House.

Castlemartyr is set amongst picturesque woodland. On the site is a ruined 13th century castle that once that belonged to the Knights Templar, and a 17th century manor house. The entrance to the estate is via an impressive gated entrance in Castlemartyr village. The Manor House has been restored to its original elegance and is now a focal point of the Castlemartyr Resort. Eleven of the resort`s 103 rooms are in the old Manor House and the rest are in a modern building alongside the manor.

Charles Fort

Charles Fort is situated about 2 miles from Kinsale on a cliff overlooking Kinsale harbor. Across the harbor is James Fort. Charles Fort is a star-shaped fort with five bastions. There are two bastions facing the sea: Devils bastion and Charles bastion, with gun embrasures inside and on top of the walls. The other three bastions known as North, Cockpit and Flagstaff face landward and each had a brick sentry box at the point. Charles Fort is built on the same site as an earlier castle, Ringcurran Castle, which was involved in the Siege of Kinsale in 1601. The present Charles Fort was built to protect Kinsale from the French and Spanish fleets in the 17th century. In war time, an underwater chain was stretched across the estuary from Charles Fort to James Fort, to hole enemy ships which ventured into the estuary. The fort was constructed in the 1670s through the 1680s and the name refers to King Charles II. In 1690, the Williamite forces attacked both Charles Fort and James Fort after the Battle of the Boyne. After the siege, the fort was repaired, and was used as a British Army barracks through until British rule ended in southern Ireland. The fort was burned and partially destroyed by the retreating anti-Treaty forces in 1922 during the Irish Civil War. The fort was made a National Monument of Ireland in 1971, and since then has been partially restored by the Irish heritage service, DĂșchas.

Conna Castle

near Conna
The castle is a ruined five storey square tower house about 85 feet tall. There is only one ceiling still intact, and a few remains of the bawn can still be seen. Conna Castle was built around 1550 by Sir Thomas FitzGerald, eldest son of the 14th Earl of Desmond . In 1599, Conna was captured by the Earl of Essex and partly destroyed. The castle was subsequently repaired by Richard Boyle, the Earl of Cork, who was granted the castle. In 1645, the castle was captured by Irish Confederate troops led by Lord Castlehaven. In 1653 is was damaged by fire in a blaze which claimed the lives of the three daughters of the castle`s steward. Hilary L`Estrange bought the castle in 1851, and his son left the castle to the state when he died in 1915. Conna Castle is situated on a limestone bluff overlooking the River Bride 4 miles west of Tallow.

Coppinger Court

near Ballyvireen
This stronghouse was built by local merchant, Sir Walter Coppinger in the 1620s and 1630s. One of his descendants, Walter Coppinger, a rebel Catholic, was outlawed by the Williamite government in 1691. The house was later held by the Beecher family. The main state rooms were in a central two storey structure with two four storey wings on the northern side. The wings have prominent corbelled parapets, with machicolations (floor opening through which missiles could be dropped on attackers). There are also machicolations on the southern side of the main block. Most of the windows are gone, with some remnants still visible in the south wing. The servants quarters were in the roof attic. An octagonal chimney is still visible.

Desmond Castle

Desmond Castle was originally built by Maurice FitzGerald, the 9th Earl of Desmond as the Customs House for the port of Kinsale around 1500, after King Henry VII granted the customs of Kinsale to the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Desmond. The castle was used as an ordnance store during the Battle of Kinsale in 1601. It was converted to a naval prison in 1641. The castle became known as the French Prison, as many of the prisoners kept in the Castle were French and Spanish. Desmond Castle was given to the town of Kinsale by James Kearney MP in 1791, and the building became the town jail, and was used for this purpose until 1846. It was taken over by the government in 1938 and declared a national monument. During the 1990s it was restored by the Office of Public Works and opened to the public.

In 1997, the International Museum of Wine was established in Desmond Castle by local restaurateurs and historians supported by the Irish government Heritage Service. The museum exhibits a history of the Winegeese (Irish who fled overseas after the Battle of Kinsale in the 17th century and established wine trade in their new countries including USA and Australia). The museum is the home to the Order of the Winegeese, a society which has members in numerous countries. Desmond Castle is located in Cork St., Kinsale town. Don`t confuse this castle with the other castle of the same name in Adare, County Cork. Desmond Castle is open to the public from April to September.

Drishane Castle

near Millstreet
The castle was built in the mid 15th century by Dermot McCarthy, the Lord of Munster, around 1450. In 1641 the castle was used as a garrison for Charles 1 supporters. The castle was taken over by the Wallis family in 1728, who built a large house in the grounds near the castle. The Wallis family owned the castle until late in the 19th century. During the Fenian rising of 1867, Drishane was garrisoned. It became a convent in 1909, owned by the Sisters of Infant Jesus, who operated a boarding school for secondary girls until 1992. The property was sold and was used as a center for asylum seekers. The castle is a 72 feet high tower house with rounded corners. It stands in the grounds of a large three storey 18th century house built by the Wallis family. The castle is in a good state of repair, but is not currently lived in. Drishane Castle is situated northeast of Millstreet near where the Finnow river flows into the Blackwater. It is open to the public during summer from 9am to 5pm (between May and September). For the rest of the year, visits may be arranged by appointment.

Dunboy Castle Ruins

near Castletownbere
The castle is part of the Dunboy Estate which also consists of Puxley Castle/Manor now the Dunboy Castle Hotel. Dunboy Castle and Estate was the stronghold of the O`Sullivan Bere clan and built to guard the harbor of Berehaven. This is where they controlled the fishing fleets off the Irish coast and became rich through the collection of taxes for the rights of passage. One of the most famous parts of history in the life of the castle was the Siege of Dunboy in 1602. The battle was between clan leader Donal Cam O`Sullivan Bere and Elizabeth I of England. Dunboy Castle was considered impregnable and was only defended by 143 men it took two weeks, but it was almost destroyed by artillery fire and after hand to hand fighting the remaining 58 survivors were executed in the town square. The entire site lay in ruins until 1730 when the Puxley family were granted the Dunboy Estate, they then set about building a mansion close to the Puxley Castle keep and Dunboy Castle was left in ruins. Very little remains of the old castle. It was left in ruins after 1602 and now comprises of just a few collections of stones which in parts are almost completely covered with undergrowth. Dunboy Castle is set in 39 acres of land near the village of Castletownbere on Beara Peninsula and the shores of the Atlantic ocean, 12 miles from Kenmare in the south west of Ireland. Dunboy castle ruins can still be visited as the estate is open to the public, but visitors should be aware that there is a great deal of building work taking place in other parts of the estate and major construction is taking place along the access road.

Dunmahon Castle

near Dunmahon
Dunmahon Castle is situated on a rocky outcrop above the Funshion river. It is believed that the castle was built before 1541 and occupied by the O`Hennessy family. The castle is a ruined square tower house hidden amongst trees and overgrown by foliage. It is not visible from the nearby road.

Elizabeth Fort

Elizabeth Fort is built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the city of Cork. It is located on Barrack Street in the heart of the city. Elizabeth Fort was built in 1601 during the reign of Elizabeth I, by Sir George Carew, the president of Munster at the time. The fort was built as an army base to protect the city, but it was demolished by the people of Cork in 1603 when James 1 came to the throne to prevent it being used against them. The people were subsequently forced by Lord Mountjoy to rebuilt it with an even stronger structure, which was completed in 1624. It was modified again by Oliver Cromwell`s men in1649. Williamite forces captured the castle in 1690 when they besieged the city. In more recent times, the fort has been used for a variety of purposes. In 1835 it was a female prison, and later became used as a military base by British forces and the Black & Tans after World War 1. During the Irish Civil War in 1922, the barracks was destroyed by fire leaving the internal buildings burnt out. Elizabeth Fort is star-shaped stone fort on an earthern bank. All that remains today is the outer wall of the fort. Access to the fort is from the east side from Fort St. This entrance has an arched opening surrounding by square limestone stones. The limestone ramparts and corner bastions of the east wall remain intact from the original construction in the early 17th century. The fort offers exceptional views of Cork city from the ramparts and from the timber viewing gallery along the northern side of the courtyard. Elizabeth Fort is home to an Garda Siochana (police) station. During the summer months, the fort hosts various Irish craft and food markets, and also historical re-enactments. During the winter months the fort houses Cork City`s first ice skating rink protected from the elements.

Ightermurragh Castle

Ightermurragh Castle stands amongst trees at the of a track in Ightermurragh. Ightermurragh Castle was built by Edmund Supple. On the second storey, a lintel over the fireplace has an inscription in Latin which includes the names Edward Supple and his wife Margaret FitzGerald, with a construction date of 1642. The castle was captured and burned down soon after completion. It was subsequently restored in the mid-18th century by a Mr. Smith. Although a ruin, it is an impressive sight standing four storeys tall with a cross-shaped plan. It has many gunloops in the walls of the first and second storeys. The house has tall chimney stacks and mullioned windows. The main entrance is on the first storey, and shows evidence of where the yett would have been located.

Kanturk Castle

near Ceann Toirc
Kanturk Castle is an impressive ruined mansion located about a mile from the market town of Kanturk. Construction of Kanturk Castle is believed to have began around 1609. It was built by Dermot MacDonagh MacCarthy, after he was pardoned by the government, after his capture in the aftermath of the Battle of Kinsale in 1601. It is said that the castle was never completed and remained a roofless shell for centuries, but it is unclear whether this is the case. MacCarthy may have been ordered to stop work by the English, who were suspicious of the purpose of the castle, or he may have run out of finances. Over the years, the property changed ownership a number of times, and since July 2000 has been managed by An Taisce, The National Trust for Ireland. It was donated to the National Trust by Lucy, Countess of Egmont under the condition that it be kept as a ruin in the same condition as it was at time of hand over. It is designated as a National Monument. The castle is a rectangular four storey high Tudor-style mansion made from limestone rubble from a nearby quarry. Dressed limestone was used around the mullioned windows, and the cornice and corbel stones. The entrance doors, internal doors, and fireplaces are made from carved limestone. Some of the fireplaces have been removed and relocated in the nearby Lohort Castle. The main entrance is Renaissance style and located on the western side - the steps to the doorway are now missing. There is another entrance on the eastern side in Irish castellated style. According to legend, the seven stone masons that worked on the Castle were all named John, giving the castle the name of Carrig-na-Shane-Saor meaning The Rock of John the Mason.

Kilgobbin Castle

near Ballyhander
Kilgobbin Castle stands in a farmyard on the west bank of the river Bandon, a few miles from Kinsale. The original Kilgobbin Castle was built by the Walsh family in the mid 15th century. The Sarsfield family took it over in the early 17th century, and it again changed hands when the Palmer family took over. By the 18th century, the castle was abandoned and fell into disrepair. In 2004, extensive restoration work was carried out by Martin McCarthy. According to folklore, the castle is haunted by a man in armor, and a woman carrying a golden object. There are also rumors of buried treasure at the castle.

The castle is a five story square tower house and has been recently restored. The tower has two levels of barrel vaulted ceilings. On the ground floor was a single large room with a vaulted ceiling. On one of the corners there was a projection housing the staircase. Battlements on top of the tower were positioned for defense. The construction is very similar to that of other castles built on the Bandon river. During the recent restoration, the stone was repointed, stonework around the windows was restored, the battlements were rebuilt and a new slate roof was put on the castle.

Liscarroll Castle

An impressive ruined fortress located in the village of Liscarroll. Liscarroll Castle was built in the 13th century by the De Barry family. In 1642, at the start of the Irish Confederate Wars, it was besieged by Irish army forces under the command of Lord Mountgarret. The castle occupants surrendered after a siege of 13 days, but the following day the Earl of Inchiquin arrived with reinforcements and defeated the Irish army at the Battle of Liscarroll, which claimed the lives of 1500 men. The Irish army again captured the castle in 1646, with an army of 5000 led by Lord Castlehaven. After the wars the castle was granted to the Percevals (the Earls of Egmont) and it remained in their possession for many years. The castle, now in ruins, was a large rectangular structure about 240 feet by 120 feet in size with large rounded towers at each corner. The surrounding walls were about 30 feet tall, with the main entrance in the south wall guarded by a large square tower. There are some underground passages near the castle, but the entrances to these are now closed up. The south east tower and large parts of the curtain wall have been destroyed.

Lohort Castle

Lohort Castle is situated on the Castlelohort Demesne near Cecilstown. Lohort Castle was built around 1496 by Donogh Og McDonagh McCarthy. One of the bloodiest battles of the English Civil War took place on the grounds of Lohort Castle in in 1647 when over 4,500 men were killed in battle. Lohort was bombarded by Oliver Cromwell`s troops in 1650 and captured, but the castle withstood the cannon fire due to the immense strength of its 10 foot thick walls. The castle as it now stands was rebuilt around 1750 by Sir John Percival, the Earl Of Egmont, and the Percivals lived there until the20th century when it was burned down by the IRA in 1922. Some of the fireplaces from nearby Kanturk Castle appear to have been relocated to Lohort Castle - this was probably done when Lohort Castle was restored in the 18th century. This historic castle is an impressive five storey fortified tower with rounded corners, standing over 80 feet tall. The massive walls are 10 feet thick at the base, narrowing to six feet. Around the top storey there is a machicolated parapet that runs unbroken apart for a short section on the eastern side. There used to be a deep moat around the castle with a drawbridge. The castle grounds cover more than 100 acres.

Mallow Castle

The castle was built around 1598, either by Sir Thomas Norris (or Norreys), or his daughter who married into the Jephson family. The castle was burnt down by the Jacobites in 1689 and fell into ruin. Rather than rebuild the burned castle, the Jephsons created a mansion house (the `new` Mallow Castle) out of the old castle`s stable block. In 1928, the old castle was made a National Monument. The last Jephson was Commander Maurice Jephson who sold the castle to McGinn family of Washington D.C. in 1984, ending a family chain that stretched for almost 400 years.
Mallow Castle stands on about 33 acres of gardens and parkland at Deerpark, Mallow in County Cork. Overlooking the Blackwater River, one of the finest salmon fishing rivers in Ireland, the castle is in a picturesque setting. The `old` Mallow Castle is a three storey rectangular stronghouse with wings projecting from the middle of the northern and southern walls. There are octagonal turrets on the north west and south west corners, one of which contains a staircase. The castle, which is now n ruins, was built in early Jacobean style. It featured high gables, stepped battlements and large mullioned windows with gun loops in the turrets and below the upper windows. The "new" Mallow Castle is a baronial mansion house built in the 1690`s from the stables of the old castle. The castle is situated near the original Mallow Castle, which was burned down in 1689. The new castle has been refurbished recently and boasts eight reception rooms, including a library, music room, billiard room, and twelve bedrooms. The grounds have various stone outbuildings including stables and the Mill House. The castle ground is home to a magnificent herd of white fallow deer, which are descended from deer given to the Castle by Queen Elizabeth 1st.

Mountlong Castle

Mountlong Castle is located on the eastern bank of the Belgooly estuary near Kinsale. Mountlong Castle was built by John Long in 1631. The castle was not occupied long before it was burnt down during the Irish Confederate Wars in the 1640s. The castle is a ruined stronghouse three storeys tall with an attic level. The plan is rectangular with a tower at each corner. The towers on the east side are still standing, but the towers on the western side have partly collapsed. Much of the walls joining the towers still stand. Some of the windows have gun loops under the sills.

Tynte`s Castle

Tynte`s Castle is located on Main Street in the center of the town of Youghal. It is a four story tower house standing about 50 feet high. There used to be several of these urban tower houses in Youghal, but this the only one remaining. Another example of this type of urban tower house is Desmond Castle in Kinsale. Tynte`s Castle was built by the Walshes, a wealthy merchant family, in the late 15th century. The Walshes were dispossessed in 1584 after the Desmond Rebellion. The castle was taken over by the crown and leased to Sir Robert Tynte. Oliver Cromwell`s army entered Youghal in 1649 and stayed over winter. It is not clear what role the castle played during Cromwell`s stay, but presumably was occupied by supporters of the Parliamentarians. There was a failed attempt to burn down the castle in 1689 while it was being used as a prison for Cromwell supporters during the reign of James II. The castle remained in the Tynte family until it was sold in 1866. During the 19th century, the building was converted into a grain store, but by the 1850s, it was falling into disrepair. In 1866, the Tynte family sold the castle to William Raymond Fitzmaurice. The castle was acquired by the McCarthy Family in the 1950s, who have undertaken many repairs over the last fifty years including capping the parapet wall, replacing the parapet walkway, and repairing shutters and windows.

Wallstown Castle

Wallstown Castle is located on farmland in the River Awbeg valley in Castletownroche, near Ballynamona. The River Awbeg flows past the eastern boundary of the property. The castle is a ruined fortified four storey tower house. The western wall with its prominent chimney stack is the tallest part of the structure remaining. A new house was built on the property in the late 18th century. The castle ruins are in the back courtyard of the house. Wallstown Castle was built in the 13th century. It was occupied by the Wall family. During the Irish Confederate Wars, the castle was captured by Lord Inchiquin and burned down in 1642. Most of the castle occupants were slain. Richard Wall was captured and later died in Cork prison. After Oliver Cromwell invaded Ireland, the castle was granted to Captain Andrew Ruddock by Cromwell. Ruddock`s tomb can still be seen in the cemetery of the ruined church on the property. The whole property is known as Wallstown Castle, and is privately owned.