Sucevita, monastery from Sucevita village, was built in 1585 by Ieremia Gheorghe and Simion Movila. It is composed from a big fortified yard, with high walls and towers, the complex of monahal houses and the church situated in the center, a masterpiece of the Moldavian medieval architecture. Decorated with paintings, dating from 1601, that cover all the walls of the church, both inside and outside, Sucevita is one of the most valuable ensembles of Romania painting. The frescoes are very remarkable, colorful and well preserved. The number of scenes and personages is higher than in any other church in Moldavia. Sucevita is considered the last flowering of the custom of painting the church façades that mark the reigns of Stephen the Great and Petru Rares.