Although Salo is known to have been inhabited as early as 7,000 years ago and has long long been a centre of rural commerce it officially became a town in 1960. Its position almost equidistant between Helsinki and Turku, facilitated its economical developpement. It is considered to be the original home town of Nokia phones. The statue of Lauri, the blacksmith standing in the centre of the town represents the first citizen of Salo. Other tourist attractions include: Salo Art Museum Roundhouse - a new Art Museum housed by a century-old building locomotive hall, Meritalo Museum - one of the oldest buildings in Salo center, hosting Uskela Dress (a new regional dress) and Uskela Church - built in 1832 after the plans of C. L. Engel, the most famous architect of his time in Finland.