Equidistant from Vienna and Budapes, Gyġr is the most important city of northwest Hungary. "The town of rivers" is a nearly 1000-year-old bishopric where Napoleon won a battle in 1809. The ancient "heart" of the town is at the junction of three rivers - the Danube, Raba and Rabca. Its oldest buildings are 'Lakotorony', built in the 13th century, and the Gothic 'Doczy Chapel', built in the 15th century. The symbol of the town, the Iron Cock, can be admired in Duna-kapu Square. The Town Museum collection exhibits Greek and Roman ornaments, furniture in Renaissance and baroque style, sculpture, paintings and Chinese porcelain.